Blog Archive

Monday 10 February 2014

Bye, bye wheat!

So on top of the arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome, it would appear that I have an intolerance to wheat!
This is a PITA, because I looove bread. I mean really, really love bread.

Crusty french bread, warm from the bakery; salt and pepper baguettes; wholegrain loaves; my own home-baked efforts; croissants and (goddess help me) Danish Pastries; rye bread.....need I say more?

However, I don't think bread (or rather, wheat) loves me *sob*!

The trouble is that every time I eat bread, I get the most awful stomach cramp. My tum bloats like I'm six months pregnant and I also get awful wind and indigestion. Doesn't matter whether the bread is fresh from the oven or a couple of days old. I get the same with biscuits, scones, cake.......you name it, if it has wheat in it, I eat, I bloat!

Having done a little reading around the subject, I am now wondering whether my arthritis, as well as the bloating and 'digestive discomfort' might be alleviated by going gluten-free for a trial period. Then a Facebook friend directed me to the Doves Farm website  www.dovesfarm.co.uk and the recipes contained therein.

I have a breadmaker, so when I found a recipe for a gluten-free breadmaker loaf, I went out on Saturday and bought the gluten-free bread flour, yeast and xanthan gum specified, came home and mixed up a loaf.

I was a bit concerned after I mixed everything together as per the instructions - it was more of a batter than a dough, but I left the breadmaker to get on with it while Kevin and I made Whisky Marmalade.

Half an hour later, we had six jars of orange yumminess.





The bread took another two and a half hours.




It has an 'interesting' texture - more 'cakey' than bread-like and it tastes OK.  Also, it toasts well.

So on Sunday, I had gluten-free toast at breakfast and a sandwich at lunchtime.No other wheat-containing products at all, all day.

This morning, I had a gluten and wheat-free muesli for breakfast and a sandwich for lunch.

I have to report......zero bloating, zero - *cough* - digestive discomfort.

Hmmm - I may be on to something here.Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment