Blog Archive

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Motivation regained!

As I explained in an earlier post, what with the house move and Kevin's looming knee operation, plus a nasty arthritis flare-up and the fact that I have not been happy with either my tutor or my progress on A230 this year, I had elected to defer my Open University studies until October.

I really DID try to continue reading The Romantics, but was getting nowhere, so I put all the books to one side and took a "holiday" away from them. In the meantime, I bought some books that have helped me to get my head round Wordsworth and Shelley, and a very useful book on Literary Criticism.

The house that we had hoped to buy has been sold - sadly not to us, but we have just had a firm offer on our house and everything is moving forward. We have also had our offer accepted on a cottage which is not in Devon after all, but in Somerset. It is smaller than "The One" in Devon, but actually ticks more boxes, so it is to be hoped that the very short chain (our buyers, us and the vendors) will remain firmly linked and we will be settled well before I start my two OU modules.

So now that (D.V.) we won't be spending time away house-hunting, I can get back to reading the A230 set texts and the module textbooks - never read any James Joyce, so I'm looking forward to The Dubliners, as well as tackling Wuthering Heights (again) and Conan Doyle's The Sign of Four. Still to come, Robert Louis Stevenson's  The Beach of Falesá, Brian Friel's Dancing at Lughnasa, then The Emigrants and The Lonely Londoners along with poetry by Langston Hughes, Jack Kerouac and Elizabeth Bishop

I have watched Metropolis, which is also part of the module materials.After rather childishly giggling at the hero's awful knickerbockers and the exaggerated facial expressions that were (of course) part and parcel of silent films, I concluded that this wonderfully distopian experience could well be left until I was in a more serious mood!

So all of this reading should distract me from the stresses of the house-selling and buying experience - I'll let you know how THAT is working out for me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment