Blog Archive

Friday 27 June 2014

Got soap?

Oh boy, do I have soap!

Despite the need to get rid of STUFF before the move, I was desperate to do something creative yesterday. I had packed up some of the Green Witch equipment and was checking the oils and butters for their Use By dates when I realised that I could "reset" some of those dates by making soap. That way, nothing would be wasted and I wouldn't have to dump a whole bottle of Rice Bran Oil (for example) just because it would be out of date by the end of the month.

So....I soaped.

I made a Hot Process "Keen Cook's" Soap, with pumice, coffee grounds and citrus oils; this is great for removing strong smells like fish, onion or garlic from your hands when you have finished preparing these foods - and my sister-in-law likes to use it on her back and her feet!

I then made my "Lemon Sherbet" soap with May Chang and Lemon essential oils - great for brightening up the day when used in my morning shower. I even did an "in the pot" swirl with this one.

Next, I made Kevin's favourite "Bay Rum" soap - I usually do this with a line of cocoa running through the middle, but Kevin requested a plain one this time round and as I only make it for him, I did so. I also used the sheep moulds that my soap-buddy Elaine sold me, and made some "BaaaRum" ones too *groan*.

The last soap of the day was a new one - using rice bran oil, palm and coconut and adding some oatmeal to make a scrubby bar, fragranced with rosemary and lemon essential oils. I'll be interested to see what the soap made from this blend of base oils is like - I haven't made this recipe before.

All soaps are now ready to be cut into bars and set to cure.

And I have got that "itch" out of my system and am ready to tackle the attic (well, almost ready).

No comments:

Post a Comment