Blog Archive

Tuesday 24 June 2014

Getting ready to move...........

and wondering where on earth all of my craft materials are going to go!

Believe me, I am the epitome of "Who dies with the most (insert appropriate object here), wins". I couldn't resist a wool sale or a fabric sale and any "Fest", be it fibre, wool or craft-based was my idea of heaven. Oh, and don't get me started on my soap supplies and essential oil stash!

This is all very well, when one is living in a big three-bedroom house with a husband and four cats. There is plenty of storage (big attic), plenty of space to make into a sewing/spinning/weaving craft studio. However, in a few short weeks, we are moving to a cottage in Devon, which is beautiful, but small. Really small. As in "two bedrooms, a small sitting room, a dining/kitchen" small.

So there is clearly a problem - what do I keep, what do I try to sell, what do I give away?

It ought to be simple, but as I survey the gorgeous Shetland fleece that I have just scoured, ready to be carded, I know that there is no way that I can get rid of it. I also have fleece and tops ready to spin - definitely keeping that, along with the natural dye kit that one of the girls gave me for Christmas and the maslin pan that I bought specifically to use as the dye vat for the spun yarn.

Then there is the fabric - a collection of beautiful wools and silks - nope, they are staying, along with yarns that I bought in Italy, Germany and Alaska as "useful holiday souvenirs".

This then brings me to the UFOs - the unfinished objects (mostly knitted items) started with huge excitement and then back-burnered for any number of reasons.

Finally, there are all the raw materials and the equipment associated with my artisan soap, bath and skincare business, Green Witch Crafts, also back-burnered when we put the house on the market.

I know that from October this year, I am going to be devoting the majority of my time to two Open University Level 2 courses. By taking on two courses, I will be a full-time student and there will be little time to spend on crafts and none at all for Green Witch Crafts. And I suppose that I should let someone else have the pleasure of using the yarns and materials but I know that I will never be in a position to buy them again.

So the plan is................vacuum bags for the fleece, wool, yarns and fabrics. As for the rest, well, I'm still thinking about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment