Blog Archive

Friday 11 August 2017

A Little More Progress...and our three-year anniversary!

We've now cleared the area where the shed will (eventually) be relocated, and yesterday we went over to Homeleigh Garden Centre to get the weed suppressing fabric.

I love Homeleigh - not only is it a pleasant drive there, but they have a beautiful selection of plants and I'd been lusting after a hydrangea to put in a particular spot by the clematis-covered archway. So after we'd located what we actually came to buy, I trotted off to the plant centre - and I swear that I was just looking, honest!

What I found was this beauty - Hydrangea Macrophylla 'Kardinal' - which, along with one of Kevin's favourite lupins, found its way into our trolley.




When we got home, Kevin set to work to build stretchers for the fabric, while I planted my two new beauties and filled old yogurt pots with Very Cheap Beer - I've lost lupins in the past to slugs (and they seem to grow 'em big down here in Devon!) - so I wasn't taking any chances. I also put sharp gravel and stones, gleaned from the area where the raised beds will go, around the base of the lupin and hydrangea. I'll add some more lupins when the piggy bank is a bit more flush.

Kevin completed laying the fabric and then we moved some of the rocks that we found as we cleared the other side of the garden and placed them on top.


I checked the slug pub this morning; despite the rain last night, which may have diluted the beer a bit, there are several victims in the yogurt pots - ah well, at least they died happy. ðŸ˜‚

As for us, on Monday we will be celebrating three years of living here in Devon - and the weather seems set to be the same as it was on the day that we moved in - RAIN! Still, if this year is anything like the previous ones, September should be a lovely month, and at least we never have to water the lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment