Blog Archive

Monday 12 September 2016

The Beginning of the End...

 Wow - that's possibly a bit too dramatic! The website for my final Open University module has opened and all of my books have arrived...it is starting to look terrifyingly real now.



This is the module that will determine my degree classification - hence the nervous smile!
I'll be studying some wonderful texts:

Three Shakespeare plays: As You Like It, Hamlet and Julius Caesar
Thomas Kyd's The Spanish Tragedy
Edmund Spencer's The Faerie Queene
William Wycherley's The Country Wife
Molière's Tartuffe
Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels
Lady Mary Wortley Montagu's Turkish Embassy Letters
The Arabian Nights' Entertainments
Rousseau's Confessions
Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion

and along with these individual works, there are sections on poetry by John Donne and his contemporaries and, later in the module, an exploration of the Romantic and Nationalist movements in poetry.

I adore Shakespeare and Jane Austen, but have already found a great appreciation for the amazing Lady Mary - what a woman! If you get the chance, I urge you to read her Letters - she was possessed of a wicked turn of phrase and was obviously highly intelligent and independent!

I am also required to undertake a fair amount of independent study - not that daunting, considering that when I studied the Children's Literature module, I did look at other novels that were contemporary with Alcott's Little Women, just to see how different her work was from that of her peers, and used the information in my assignments as well as in my final, externally marked work. I am also able to spend time doing this - there are some advantages in being unemployed, I suppose - I'm not sure how much independent study the OU expects from students who, for the most part, are also working full time.

My study corner is prepared. I am working on all the projects around the house and garden that need to be done before the module officially begins in October. Hopefully, I'll be using this blog as a bit of light relief from university  - after all, all work and no play, and so on...


No comments:

Post a Comment