Blog Archive

Wednesday 24 August 2016

New from old.

I have in my stash, some curtains that my husband tells me hung in his and his first wife's kitchen many years ago. The fabric is called 'Arden' and it was made in Britain by a firm called Textra.

I know that Janet is an accomplished knitter but I don't believe that she sews and Kevin can't remember who made them but at a guess, I would have said that they were made by his mother - Kathleen - who was an excellent seamstress. These curtains were lined and french seams were used to join the widths of the cream lining fabric, an impressive step that I will freely confess that I'm not sure I would have been bothered to take.

The colours are as bright as they were when the fabric was first printed - there was no fading to be seen when I let down the hems - and the weakest part of the whole construction was in the cotton used to stitch them, which broke easily.





I have only unpicked one curtain and there is easily enough fabric for me to make the apron that I am planning; September sees the first of the Soup and Sweet Lunches at the Village Hall and I always help out there when possible. An apron is essential! I'm also a messy cook, but currently I only have one pinny, so I found a pattern for a substantial pinafore and when the bias binding arrives on Friday, I can get to work.



I love the fact that I can create something new from something old, and I love the fact that this fabric, though it is around forty years old, is still as strong, bright and useful as the day that Textra printed and sent the bolts out for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment